Thursday, August 28, 2008
Back To Normal
Well the last two days have been good. I slept 9-10 hours both days from 9 am to 5 or 7 pm. When I wake up my right eye is fairly clear – I can see objects and colors and very, very large type.
I type these posts in a word processor at 28 point and use the magnifier to read about two words at a time.
I picture what I type and get a picture in my mind then after two or three paragraphs I try to edit those paragraphs.
If I cannot see the characters then I use a reader that speaks the keys I press and will speak whatever is on the screen.
It works well but is slow. If at times you see a weird word it is because the spellchecker choose the wrong word and I ‘blindly’ accepted it (pun intended).
After much trial and error I turned off the grammar checker that made things much easier. It took me several days to figure out the voice reader was saying ‘green underline good’.
The program was trying to tell me to use well instead of good. After several hundred repeats I got it and stumbled through the menus.
If I had not taught or used some of these programs for years I would be completely lost.
I did a Google search for vision impair text pages. I got over a million hits (I think it said million) but none of the links I clicked gave me anything I could read or the reader could speak clearly.
I’ve been up about 2 hours today and my right eye is completely clouded over again.
So now I get to listen to TV. Sometime turn the brightness off on you TV and listen to a complete show while you record it. Then go back and watch the video you just head and see if you really understood what they said.
I bet you will be surprised.
2 comments:
Why are you only showing the post titles?
Hi Pud,
It was a challenge to see if I could do it.
I don't really like paging through a bunch of posts to find one that sounds interesting and many sites do not have an archive or a search. So I modified this blog. I have not decided if it I like it or not. It's a work in progress, like your life :)
I help setup blogs and other programming and one of my friends told me it could not be done. So I did it.
I was surprised to see a comment from you. I don't publicize this blog.
Turns out I had a senior moment - I was logged into my personal account vs my public account when I visited your blog the other night.
Happy Blogging and HNT !
Post a Comment