Monday, September 29, 2008
My First Bailout
I remember my first bailout – I was at a Boy Scout camp and tipped the canoe over. I was scared to death of the water at the time but had a life jacket.
I got the canoe righted and somehow managed to get back in. I used my hat to bail it out and started paddling. I tipped it again except this time my life jacket strap broke when I tried to put the paddle under them to hold it to my chest.
I was in twelve feet of death but I learned that I could float on my back with my mouth and nose right above the water.
The lifeguard started to come after me but noticed I would kick every so often. I thought it was pretty cool.
I had to upright the canoe four times that morning. The last time was four feet from the dock.
To earn my merit badge I had to dock the canoe. I was so tired I floated for a while. The lifeguard and I held a conversation for about fifteen minutes while I floated near the dock.
Once I safely docked he tried but could not float for more then 2 or 3 minutes before he neck got tired.
I can still do it to this day. After my heart attack I went to two therapy sessions – the first was walking – no big deal.
The second was water exercise. I had an asthma attack and could not stand. I went to my back and floated. After ten minutes I was able to use my hands and make it to the side.
No one came to help me just told me to get back on my feet. I never went back but at least I know I can still float on my back.
The worse bailout, besides the one the congress is trying to put together, was the time your mother decided to tie my jet boat to the dock in rough water while I went to get the trailer.
She tied the boat to the dock but only gave it about a foot of spare rope. When I got back with the trailer, my beautiful jet boat was floating just under the water completely filled with water.
I still miss that boat.
No comments:
Post a Comment